A brief summary:
God created us, loves us and wants a relationship with us, but gave us the freedom to rebel. By trying to live independently of God we have cut ourselves off and are heading for eternity without Him. God entered His own creation in the person of Jesus to rescue those who trust Him. By His death Jesus took the penalty for our rebellion on Himself, making it possible for us to be adopted as God’s children, become like Him and share His joy for ever, starting right now.
A slightly more formal version:
- God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) is utterly good, and has the absolute right and power to do whatever He chooses. He created, cares for and will judge the world.
- God has chosen to make Himself known through the Bible, and has therefore made sure we can rely on it completely.
- All human beings have been made in God’s image, and are therefore of great value. Yet we all seek to run our own lives independently of God – this is what the Bible refers to as ‘sin’ – and are therefore under God’s judgement.
- Jesus Christ (God the Son), fully God and fully human – yet without sin – came to give up His life on the cross in our place. He took our sin on Himself to save us from being separated from God for ever.
- Jesus was raised bodily from the dead and taken to His Father’s side, where He now reigns and prays to the Father on our behalf as the only Saviour of the world.
- We are put right with God only by His own goodness, as we believe the good news of what Jesus Christ has done.
- The Holy Spirit enables us to turn from our sin, to believe the good news, to be adopted as God’s children, and to become more like Jesus Christ in our lives.
- Every believer forms part of Jesus Christ’s family on earth, and has been commissioned by Him to take the good news all over the world.
- Jesus Christ will come back in person at the end of this age to complete God’s purposes, bringing eternal life to believers and eternal separation from God to unbelievers, and recreating the universe.
The Evangelical Alliance Basis of faith:
We seek to be a loving family
devoted to the Father
transformed by the Spirit
and graciously drawing others to Christ